My Jewish cooking adventure: Strawberry shortbread cookies

Sunday 28 August 2011

Strawberry shortbread cookies

I prepared this one very quickly as the apple crumble I prepared on the Thursday for Shabbos did not last for even 30 minutes and I was left with mere crumbs.
I needed a something easy to prepare while I was prepping Shabbos dinner at the same time, challenging!
However I was very pleased with how little time it takes to actually prepare this shortbread, its only the 1 hour it takes to bake in the oven that you should keep in mind.

This is a recipe I took from Carine Goren’s book ‘Sweet secrets’ which I have adapted over time. Not because I do not like it, I am just one of those types who must change every recipe to suite my needs, hence why I say a recipe is only a guide and there are no rules!

250g unsalted butter, melted
½ cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
¼ tsp salt
2 ½ cups flour (I substituted 1 cup of flour with whole wheat flour here)
For the filling – a jam of your choice or even chocolate spread, date spread etc

Preheat the over to 150C.
Mix the melted butter together with the sugar, vanilla extract and salt. Add the flour and mix to form a soft dough.

Press half the dough in your baking dish as the base, fill with jam and cover with the remaining dough. This is easily done by just pressing pieces of dough in the palm of your hands and placing it next to each other, don’t worry about how it comes out cause it all merges together and smooth’s out while in the oven.  

Bake for 1 hour.

Sprinkle with sugar to decorate although I have never done this to limit our sugar intake and for us it is perfect. Slice like a pizza to serve. 

No comments:

Post a Comment