My Jewish cooking adventure: Baharat spice mix

Sunday 14 August 2011

Baharat spice mix


I wanted to share the below as I cook with Baharat quite a lot. When my cooking adventures first began I had never heard of such a spice and neither did I find it at any supermarket. Then it is someone else who had asked me what this spice is that i decided that it needed to be shared.

The word ‘Baharat’ is actually Arabic for “spices” and it is the generic name for the mix of powdered spices however refers more to the mix of spices used in Lebanese, Syrian and Iraqi cuisines.

The best recipe for Baharat spice I found in ‘The book of new Israeli food’ by Janna Gur.

Ensure that you use the whole spice of each that you can roast and grind down yourself for freshest results. All the ingredients are mixed together and then stored in an airtight container.
1Tblsp ground cardamom
1Tblsp ground black pepper
1/2Tbsp ground all spice
1Tblsp ground cinnamon
1Tblsp ground dry ginger
1/2Tblsp ground nutmeg

No comments:

Post a Comment