My Jewish cooking adventure: Israeli carrot cake

Saturday 20 August 2011

Israeli carrot cake


Why do I call it ‘Israeli’ carrot cake, cause here in South Africa it is typically known to be topped with a thick layer of icing and this version does not require it as it is very moist on its own, however there is no rule to it either, a recipe is only a guide so by all means do as you wish.
This recipe was also passed down from my mother-in-law, she recited it so quick and easily without blinking an eyelid, which left me most, impressed. This was just 2 years back when baking brought on the feeling of nervousness and some serious butterflies to my stomach!
I must admit however, now days I can do it blind folded, well I have had plenty of practice since I am summoned to prepare this carrot cake at least once a month! I am certainly not complaining… J
4 eggs
½ cup grated carrot
1/2tsp cinnamon
1 cup oil
1 ½ cup sugar
1 ½ cup flour
10g baking powder

Mix all ingredients together well and bake at 180C.

It’s as simple as that!!!

Funny how my man heard the time go on the oven signaling that bake time was finished at the same time signaling to me that he was on his way to confirm if the cake was ‘kosher’!




2 comments:

  1. Mmmmmm I may even be tempted to try this..lol. Sounds yummy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mellowmich, great, let me know how it comes out!

    ReplyDelete