My Jewish cooking adventure: The Sofrito! for Shabbos.

Sunday 4 September 2011

The Sofrito! for Shabbos.


Both Efi and I have been craving a Sofrito for Shabbos and since we had invited some Guests, what better time could there be!
I find this dish so delicious, I love the combination of the spices used which are infused in all the juices that can easily be soaked up with Challah! And surprisingly not a difficult dish to prepare at all.
A typical Friday night dinner adopted from the Spaniards which in turn became the signature dish of the Sephardi Jews.
I have viewed a chicken, veal and lamb versions however I am so addicted to the version made with beef brisket that I have not been tempted by the others, however maybe one day I shall try. For this Shabbos however it will the version I have learnt out of Janna Gur’s book which is my favorite.

Ingredients:
1 ½kg beef brisket cut into large chunks
1/3 cup oil
8 small whole onions peeled
10 whole cloves of garlic peeled
¾ cup chicken/beef stock in water
1 tsp Paprika
1 tsp turmeric
1/2tsp curry powder
1/2tsp ground white pepper
1/2tsp ground allspice
salt and freshly ground pepper
8 potatoes cut into wedges
Oil for frying

In a heated pan, brown the beef. Grease a casserole dish (large enough to hold all the ingredients) with 5 Tblsp oil and lay in the meat, onion and garlic. I did not have the little whole onions on hand and therefore compromised with cutting the larger onions in wedges.
Mix the stock with the other spices and pour over meat and bring to a boil. Cover and cook for 1 hour over a low heat. Extra boiling water can be added should the liquid need to be topped up.

Preheat the oven to 150C.
Deep fry the potato wedges till golden and place on paper towel to drain the excess oil.

Arrange the potato wedges over the cooked beef, cover and transfer the dish to the oven for about 2 hours. Shake the saucepan once or twice to get the sauce to cover the potatoes.

The dish is ready when all pieces are tender.

I like to serve this with a selection of various salads and of course the Challah to soak up all those delicious Sofrito juices!

During dinner I was expressing my interest on a Le Creuset dish I have been having my eye on, the following day Efi surprised me with the most beautiful casserole dish by Le Creuset that I am almost bursting with excitement thinking of all the delicious dishes that I will now be able to prepare, including this Sofrito dish! He has since admitted that it was a selfish purchase made with him in mind.  Sneaky but cleaver of him, but believe that it was a win-win situation! J


So that is us for this Shabbos! Shabbat Shalom everyone! 

1 comment:

  1. Excellent Friday Dinner, as usual my love you always exceeding my exception!

    ReplyDelete